Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Whee! Who says government interference is a bad thing? The deadline for the Presidential Scholarship has been moved back to Monday! Originally, it was due tomorrow, and I was going to have to stay up all night writing and sacrifice a goat to the elder gods to get it in. Anyway, miraculous breathing room. Which means had I known, I could have partied down with the OC people today, which is bothersome, but I did get some work done. Next week.

Before I get off-track, what is the Presidential Scholarship, anyway? It is my one and only chance to receive a pile of cash from the Bush administration is what it is. So it would be nice to get. It takes about four pages of essays though, and a lot of it is BS-ish self-promotion, but I'm trying not to complain. And If I get it, I'll be real damn special. Only 121 get selected. Of course, it's guaranteed that there's at least one boy and one girl from each state, so If I lived in Wyoming or somesuch, this would be lot easier.

I have got to keep Alex away from my Valentine's Day plans too. At the time he wrote that bit about extravagance, I had no such thing planned. Fortunately, I cleverly engineered such a gift plan at the last moment, so all is well.

Speaking of Valentine's Day, Scho-bizzle played in the first annual Fenwick Scho-Bizzle Tournament ( next year we'll get Draski to put up a banner that says "Scho-Bizzle Tournament"). We got fourth, which was respectable, but it came after some damnably close losses to Iggy and Marist. On the other hand, we only got that far after a couple heart-stoppingly close comebacks, so it evens out. However, the most important thing is that Brooks Smith can SING. Which is awesome in itself, but we got him to sing "Scooby Dooby Doo" (beautifully) while we all pounded the beat on the table. Yeah, you bet the other teams looked at us funny. But it was a moment.

Not to overwhelm people with Scho-Bowl business, but we're also now league champions, after we won the last two matches of the season yesterday. Boo-yah!

That's enough for now. Next time: conceptual BLOG, OR "Why my goal in life is to be at least as macho as Kevin Altier."

No comments: