Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Oh, it's been a crazy two days, hasn't it folks? Not that you know yet. Unless you were there, which you may well have been if you're reading this. But digress... or regress... or something.

So there I was. I'd just finished a terribly easy final in Fr. Joe's Theology class and I was off to Pisani's for a "physics study session." Little did I know what awaited me there. 10 of the smartest minds in the school gathered with one goal in mind: to study physics. I think that once or twice we came close to actually working on something, but that may be wishful thinking. Kohout's new digital camera is very impressive though. I think things really fell apart when Damien uttered those fateful words, "We should re-enact the Last Supper. I want to be Jesus." And that's exactly what we did once the pizza got there. It was splendiferous. There's also a panorama we're waiting for from Kohout. Fun times.

So then we got back to school for the Chemistry study session, which was somewhat more helpful. But it was there that I discovered I'd left my calculator at Pisani's, and that was when things started to fall apart. I got a ride from Kohout back to Pisani's and got the calculator just fine, but when I went back out to Kohout's car, he pulled the old "drive away just as they get to the door" trick on me. And this went on for a few seconds, and since I had gotten the door open, I figured "Well, he's not going that fast, I may as well jump into that moving vehicle. What could possibly go wrong?"

That was precisely the moment when Kohout decided to stop the car. My head collided with the doorframe in a spectacular but non-injurious manner. In the confusion, my calculator fell out of my coat pocket onto the ground beneath the car without anyone noticing. Ten minutes later, I realized that the calculator was once again missing from my person, so we turn around and head back to Pisani's with all proper haste. Kohout raises the possibility that he could have run over the calculator with his back tire, but we dismiss that because he turned pretty quickly after I got in.

So when we get there, lo and behold, there lies the calculator, about two feet from the curb. I pick up my now slightly wet calculator which appears otherwise unharmed. Kohout is relieved that he has not run it over.
"No, I think you ran it over."
"No, I couldn't have."
At this point, I made a brief, cogent remark pointing out the tread-shaped markings on the top side of my calculator.
We proceeded to run a series of tests on the calculator, which, much to our surprise, is none the worse for its sub-vehicular adventure. At some point, we're going to check whether it actually runs faster now.

TI-89: Solid Construction.

You could probably kill somebody with it, if you threw it pretty hard. And then you could use it to calculate it's own trajectory.

Well, that was pretty long. I'll tell you about today tomorrow.

No comments: