Sunday, April 24, 2005

Well, I’m out of my idiom again. Of course, I have a particularly slow and dangerous idiom anyway.

I hate backup plans, good advice, and pragmatism. But my enthusiasm for second chances, persistence, and reckless optimism is considerably diminished of late. So it seems to be time for another change. bleh.

All things must pass…
Although it’s interesting, if you can find and compare the George Harrison version of “All Things Must Pass” with the Beatles out-take version (released on Anthology 3). The Harrison solo version has got Phil Spector-produced strings and horns that give it a sweeping impact, and Harrison’s vocals are confident and reassuring. The Beatles version is much more spare and intimate, and Harrison’s voice seems to crack a little from time to time. In this version it sounds more like a man trying to reassure himself. Both are good songs though. I need to get more of Harrison’s solo stuff.

Speaking of music, OurTunes makes it so much easier to explore more unusual branches of music (depending on whether someone actually has it, of course). For example, the plethora of one-hit wonders from the 80’s that I’ve grabbed lately. And just today I’ve found Yes’s Tales from Topographic Oceans, which is known as the ultimate expression of excessive 70’s prog-rock. Not bad so far. Of course, I’m still only in the first track, which is 22 minutes long, and only slightly longer than the other 3 tracks, each of which originally took up an entire LP side.

Well, at least my Onion horoscope is pertinent and reassuring, after a fashion:

“Although you've always worried about dying alone and unloved, you can put your mind at ease: A tragic mix-up at the pheromone lab will lead to your being loved to death by nine separate species.”

Additionally, the last fortune cookie I recieved was "Your talents will be recognized and rewarded" ... in bed. So clearly, I'm in for interesting times. But they do not appear to be the times I initially hoped for.

So (in a peculiar but unrelated echo)

Here goes nothing...

No comments: