Sunday, April 17, 2005

And I forgot to mention that I died on Monday. No, that’s not a metaphor. No, really… Well, kind of… Strictly speaking, I was assassinated. It was very unpleasant.

You see, we crazy collegians play a game called Assassins, which is sort of like living in a paranoid universe of fear and strife, only more paranoid and fearful. Everyone in the game is assigned a target, and someone is targeting them in turn. You must shoot your target with a stream of water in some fashion. I, alas, was killed the first day by an unusually poor stroke of luck: My target, my assassin, and an already-dead lookout had the same class. And so my target escaped, and whilst I berated the corpse, my assassin ran around the building and shot me in the back.

And so, after a night of drinking, I woke up at 7:15 feeling refreshed. I soon though better of it and slept until 9, which is better, but still abnormally early for a Saturday. And that party definitely deserved a longer recovery time, due to it’s high quality and unprecedented levels of inebriation. Not that I have an extremely high precedent for drunkenness. First time I’ve been physically impaired to a noticeable degree. Actually, it was kind of fun to find that my brain was a half-second behind my head, so to speak. And I suspect lowered inhibitions, which, given how neurotic I am, is not really too terrible. Clearly, I am a happy drunk. Of course, I am liable to jump on things and shout “wheeee!” when stone cold sober, so…

And of course, the right company helps. As does fried chicken, to a lesser degree (Zach would stab me over that last part, I suspect). So we (Zach, Chris, Zach’s lab partner John, Megan, and myself) went to Harold’s for dinner and thence to Hitchcock to play N64 and watch family guy. Apparently, performance in Smash Brothers is an exceptional accurate measure of drunkenness. Although basic competence helps too.

So, what’s round, white, and can be found in the physics building dumpster? Yes, that’s right, a toilet. Additionally, an unidentified brick of electronics from 1962 with capacitors the size of your head. Also, HEPA filters and a lot of plywood. Today marked the first actual scavenging for ScavHunt, and we dragged back quite a haul from the dumpsters. There were also a VCR, an air conditioner, a dissertation on Maya architecture, extensive blueprints for the children’s hospital, a coffee machine, two office chairs, six heavy wooden shelving units, and a brief document entitled “How to utilize the enlarger”.

No, it certainly doesn’t make sense, but it’s beautiful...

No comments: