Sunday, March 07, 2004

Yep. So I’ve been doing stuff. Most importantly I did stuff on Saturday, so I’m going to talk about Friday first. I saw Return of the King again, and it was better this time. Take that, Larsen (even though the demise of the Larsen blog fills me with a deep, ineffable sadness or moderate disappointment). Before that, it was watch the girls thrash Jacobs 77-26. That was excellent. Now on to Saturday:

Got up early and mooched a ride down to Normal with K-to-the-Ohout, at what some might call an impressive speed. Then I watched the Friars lose a close one to New Trier, which reminds me, I still want to know what a Trevian is, but I don’t care enough to look it up. Anyway, unfortunate loss, but the cheering section was pretty powerful. I can’t say I contributed much, not being a great cheering type, but I tried.

Then we were off on a whirlwind tour of Normal, finding out that Main street just up and becomes a one-way street for the heck of it. Eventually we found the theatre playing Starsky & Hutch, which had it moments, but wasn’t particularly good. Thence we proceeded to the park and played football. The Ducks/Christ-Punchers/Christ-Punching Ducks put up a valiant effort, and were down by only seven points when we broke and ran for the swings. It was brilliant. Then there was some Lava Monster-ing. Sweeney and I, we’re good at that game, because we realize the better part of valor is raw, shameless cowardice. That’s right, we sat on the highest available point and were invulnerable. We rock.

Also, before I forget, My lifelong goal was fulfilled during lunch at Steak and Shake (Woo! Go Rog!). Anyway, Kevin made the mistake of giving Maciej the “dude man” speech, so, yes, I am now more macho than Kevin Altier. He may have gained some ground by being quarterback for the Christ-Punchers, so it’s kind of up in the air at the moment. On the other hand, Captain Napes picked me first.

Then the girls got to end their season with a win, and gave a pretty convincing beatdown to Marian, 69-50, although there was a scary spot in the first quarter when they were down by about 8. More cheering, in a slightly less densely-packed formation.

Then everybody else went home, sadly, so no wild partying for me. Naperville Central won the championship, and Kohout got some pictures of the award ceremony. I ate dinner with the Kohouts, and Nick and I schooled the population of a sportsbar & grill by means of an electronic trivia game.

And speaking of trivia, go Scho-Bizzle. Regionals tomorrow. We shall crush our enemies, see them driven before us, and hear the lamentations of their women. Or something less barbarian, if we must.

And as long as we’re talking music, my selection of albums for the ride down and back to Normal:

Captain Beyond-Captain Beyond
Revolver- the Beatles
Weezer-Weezer
Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan

No comments: