Saturday, March 26, 2005

Then again, sometimes I make people nervous.

And… intelligible commentary begins now. Man, if I keep doing throw-away openers like that, I’ll just make more people nervous. At any rate, I have once again seen Javier and the Bear in concert, and I must say they rocked me in a manner similar to that of a hurricane, while my face was transmuted to a liquid state… awesomeness. Missed the first couple of songs due to vehicular trickiness, but what I heard was great. I got there in time for “Ziggy Stardust” and it only got better from there, from drifts in to covering country with “Mama Tried” to original rock epics like “Goat People”. And that’s leaving out some of my favorites. Anyway, much rockage and praise of both Javier and The Bear. Also, they are slowly shaping a cultural institution by replacing “Freebird” with “I’ll Fight You for Your Woman”.

And similarly in music, I managed to blow slightly too much money at Rolling Stone the other day. Rolling Stone is a beautiful thing. Eight-dollar CDs and copies of the Onion: what more can a man ask for? This week’s additions to my slowly growing musical collection:

-Derek and the Dominos, Layla (Christ. That is some fine guitar. And everything else, really.)
-Simon and Garfunkel, Sounds of Silence (a little sloppy, but worth it)
-Postal Service, Give Up (They still own my soul, but more so now. Also doubles my albums for the current decade.)
-Bob Dylan, Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan (haven’t gotten through this yet, but Bob hasn’t done me wrong yet. Also, for a while there I had his hair.)

And much more happened this week, but I’m tired.

And finally, incongruously, being a poet gives everything an upside; I’ve written more than usual lately. I may even have to start letting people see it. But I’m told poets die young. Clearly, I’ll have to become a musician instead… hmm. Well, maybe something in science. Although I don’t think computer programmers have been around long enough to figure out what our life expectancy is.

Very few people realize that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is the same man who later became known as Conan the Barbarian…

No comments: