Sunday, April 04, 2004

Oops. It seems to be next week already. Time keeps doing that to me. Space is out to get me too, actually, so I’m just trying extra hard not to piss off gravity, because there are only so many fundamental features of existence I can deal with at once.

But anyway, the Week of the Girl has come and gone already. Alas. It had its ups and downs, but it was great to see her again. But, first, chronological order: So last time I posted, I was anticipating the Napes party, which was, true to expectations, awesome. I am addicted to air hockey; I beat Maciej, but kept losing on the last point after that. Whee! Air hockey! Then there was lots of dancing and craziness. So I bravely and intermittently attempted to dance. “Come On, Eileen” is more danceable than one might expect, especially with crazy leg-flailing. Sweeney nearly died after that; it was funny. I blame the derb. Other people have covered the party already. It roxxored.

Then there was Friday. I got to pick up the Girl at Midway, after looping around only a few times. Traffic near Midway is madness, of course, but easy enough to deal with. After negotiating which, I took the Girl home.

Saturday was complicated. Seeing Fenwick win state in hockey was cool, although the best part of the game was Eric Park’s “Janda… I’m having your baby,” sign. Then we took a trip down to Rolling Stone along with Peter, because Ohio just doesn’t have as many opportunities for low, low prices on music. I got Bob Dylan’s Bringing It All Back Home, and it’s good. Mmm, crazy surreal lyrics. Also, “Love Minus Zero/No Limit” is worth the cost of the whole album.

And then, let’s see, what did I do Tuesday? Yes, I ate ice cream at Petersen’s, and it was good. I had the hot fudge turtle, and Kate had a banana split, which she really liked. And, of course, we got photographed and put in the Tribune the next day, for an article on rising dairy prices. Ellie was there too, as evidenced by the pair of hands in the lower right. That’s what she gets for sitting on the other side of the table. Before which Alex and I did the radio show, which all y’all should listen to when they put it up. It’s a good show, good music, and lots of talk about the E-Baby incident. Then Alex and I watched a seagull eat slices of cheese that we found in the link. He would circle around for a bit, and then he’d come down and we’d be like “Yes! He’s gonna eat the cheese!” and then the seagull would come down and start trying to eat the cheese, and eventually he’d manage to pick up the whole piece and scarf it down. This happened twice, and then the next piece we put too close to the school, and then we were out of found cheese. Truly it was the most awesomest bird-related experience I have ever had. But then I got to go from there to ice cream, which is even better than cheese, even if they’re both related to the rising cost of dairy.

Friday, unfortunately, the attempted swing-dancing plan failed, which was very disappointing, especially for the Girl. But eventually we managed to have a good time anyway. We (myself, Kate, Alex, Peter) had dinner at Khyber Pass, which was my first experience with Indian food. Tandoori chicken tastes suspiciously like most other kinds of chicken, but Nan is a very impressive interpretation of bread. Speaking of Tandoori chicken, yes, I ate meat on a Friday. meh. Then after much debate at the video store (although the zombie lobby was crushed early on) we rented Rushmore, which is a pretty funny, occasionally weird movie with an excellent soundtrack, during which certain people fell asleep. And then it was good-bye to the Girl, and back to pining for me. All in all, a good week.

Also this week, Colleges and stuff:
Chicago- Yes
Oberlin- Yes
Stanford- Waitlist (Boo!)

So I’m down to Chicago, U of I, and Oberlin, each of which has its advantages, with Chicago being the best overall but most expensive, U of I having a really good computer science program but somewhat locking me into engineering, and Oberlin being willing to give me a nice pile of cash and being a good liberal arts school but probably not all that great at the computer science. While I’m figuring that out, I’ll have to send Stanford a nice “things I have won since last I wrote” list to try and persuade them, and see what happens.

So yesterday, I went to Chicago’s admitted students thing to visit dorms, and that was pretty neat. If you live in the off-campus dorms, you can get a really huge room, because they made them out of luxury hotels. The on-campus dorms aren’t bad either, but they don’t have a living room. Choices, choices, choices.

No comments: