Saturday, December 15, 2007

Rhythmic Surrealist Purgatory
I was writing a song today, and I realized I had two parallel phrases, any two words of which could be exchanged across phrases. Observe:

"Through a haze of darkest morning, in a blaze of deepest white"

Blaze/haze and deepest/darkest are completely interchangeable for the most part, meaning the phrases are completely rearrangeable except for the rhyme scheme. This is probably a sign that I should shoot for more meaningful phrases, although I think the configuration above is the most "sensible".

So yeah, this phenomenon is now to be called "Rhythmic Surrealist Purgatory."

I will probably keep the line though.

1 comment:

Alex said...

I think it would actually make for a more interesting song if you used that line more than once and continued to change the order of the words throughout.