Saturday, August 06, 2005

You know, I really like penguins, I really do. But they don’t seem to like me. Thursday, on our third attempt to go to March of the Penguins, we actually made it to the theater, at which point the projector broke down five minutes into the movie. We got refunds (or super-refunds, in the case of Kate, who got an Adult refund on a Student ticket). In any case, we fell back upon a strategy of night Frisbee, and fun was had by all.

In other news, I’ve got new glasses, made from that classiest of high-strength metals, titanium. Yeah, I know, incredibly sexy… and shiny, too. I assume this will enhance my night vision, maybe. But the good news is that I am slightly less blind than I was last time I got glasses. So, woot. Interestingly, when I tried to get less expensive frames, they just asked me if they could increase the discount. So, apparently I can haggle successfully, or something.

And… let’s see… Sky High is a much better movie than I expected. I mean, it’s got Bruce Campbell, and much amusing superhero-yness. Were you to strip down the plot to it’s basics, it would be a pretty standard high school comedy. But the fact that the cliques have superpowers really improves things, and there are some nice twists that you just couldn’t get outside of a superhero high school. And there’s some seriously fantastic comedic acting (protagonist support, if you will): the aforementioned Bruce Campbell as gym teacher; Kevin Heffernan as Ron Wilson, Bus Driver; And Kevin MacDonald, utterly ridiculous as Mr. Medulla, mad science teacher. So, yeah, seven thumbs up and all that.

And… off to finally see Too Much Light. Whee!

No comments: