Monday, July 06, 2009

Subjectivity

I am always wracked by sentimentality, in large part because I demand to live in a context rich with emotional meaning. I invest everything around me with a narrative, or a place in a larger narrative, until everything is more or less humming with crucial purpose. You may be wondering, what does this have to do with Red Faction?
This piece on Penny Arcade touches on a number of things I've been going on about lately (or will be going on about shortly), mainly a certain kind of subjectivity in art. Video games are especially apt in this way, since the actions of the player change the content of the game in a much more recognizable way than, for example, how one approaches a painting.

Also, Tycho is an excellent writer, so touches on these things much more gracefully than I would. This, as my brother once said to me, is the problem of being a philosopher rather than a poet -- that a poet can say things more elegantly, more quickly than a philosopher can. On the other hand, as a philosopher one can explain things at greater depth. I have, I think, more ability with poetry, but in any case I find it difficult to be both at once.

Also, I will say Casey has more grace with philosophy than I do, and his blog is well worth reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

red faction sucks

Pat said...

I think what you mean to say is, "The creators of Red Faction and I have different symbolic vocabularies, and hence it fails to resonate with my inner myths in a satisfactory way."

Gotta keep up the level of discourse, man... Aside from the quality Red Faction itself being mostly irrelevant.

Alex said...

anonymous haters? we're moving up.