Tuesday, May 19, 2009

R.I.P. Dolla


Can't say I saw this one coming. Who do you expect a lankey georgian drawling rapper/singer to have beef with? Poor kid got one in the head in Beverly Hills, waiting for the valet after a trip to the mall with a buddy, while he was in L.A. to record his debut album for Akon's Konvict label. Does it get any worse than that? Word is they tracked down the shooter, still armed, in L.A.X.

Last year Dolla put out a single called "Make A Toast." I originally discovered it on a bootleg Wayne mixtape, and ended up bumping it wherever I could for a good minute. It was one of those songs that comes to mean larger things for you and had a sound that seemed as mournful as it was celebratory. And there's this part before the last verse where Dolla starts singing. It's real delicate-like, but it gets me every time. Dude had potential.



bonus trivia side note: he was born in tha chi

3 comments:

Pat said...

Hrm. Ad audio seems to be starting spontaneously in this video. Bloody irritating. Anybody else getting this, or just me?

Pat said...

Alright, then. For the sake of not bugging the hell out of me with Old Navy ads when I visit my own blog, I've switched to the imeem version of the video.

Alex said...

hilarious. that never came up on my end.