Saturday, April 18, 2009

Clever

As I may have mentioned, I work at a hedge fund, and I work as a computer programmer. I don't say this to brag -- there's not much to brag about, really -- but there should be some fairly smart folks around me. That said, this is cleverest thing I saw all week:

As I was leaving yesterday, one of the building staff was standing near the elevators with carpet-cleaning equipment. I was about to step into the open elevator, but he told me "Don't take that one, it'll be slow. I pushed all the buttons." Why? "So it doesn't come back." He had been tasked with cleaning all the elevators, but had no special control over which elevator would come when he hit the call buttons. So he needed to make sure a clean elevator wouldn't show up again for a while. In a 22-story building, hitting all the buttons is a pretty good solution.

No comments: