Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I’m here today to talk to you about two bands, both of which many of you should already know and love:

First off, Boys and Girls in America is spectacular. Craig Finn is unstoppable. They have an acoustic song; it is stunning (“Citrus”). The opening trio of “Stuck Between Stations”, “Chips Ahoy!”, and “Hot Soft Light” start off strong and grow on you with time… In general, there’s maybe a little more of a Springsteen-type influence spread through this, compared to Separation Sunday, a little straighter of a throwback overall, but it’s still all unmistakably Hold Steady, down to the “new direction” (whoa-ho oh-oh oh-oh-oh) on the backing vocals that we heard on “Massive Nights” at Lolla, which is even better on “Chips Ahoy!” And if I wanted to quote great lyrics at you, I would be here all day. So get the album. I’m going to see them on Thursday.

Now, that’s a tough act to follow, but I’m still going to mention that I’m linking to the one, the only Con Amor Siempre. For starters, the fact that they did a cover of “Sugar High” from Empire Records has really endeared them to me (because clearly, I hated Maciej before now). Also, I kept getting “Allen Bean” stuck in my head this summer, and more recently, “Ballroom Dancing Saved My Life”. If you happen to not already know Maciej, then seriously, just look at that song title, and follow that link.

I was bitten by a spider a few weeks ago. I’ll keep you posted on any incipient superpowers.

Also, I am an evil poet -- really unspeakably evil. Oh man, but that was fun. I really hesitate to submit a poem to my workshop class that includes

“A tiny dancer
And Tony Danza
Debate on a napkin
For twenty stanzas”

And other things in that vein. Or maybe the fact that incredibly silly rhymes fill me with maniacal giggling should be more of a concern. Damned if I know.

No comments: