Friday, August 27, 2004

Oh the times, they are a-changin'

Summer winding down, people going to college. First Kate two weeks ago to be an RA, and then began the exodus.

It's a little bit of a downer seeing all these people go away. And just to clear up what seems to be a common misunderstanding: I am going to the University of Chicago. I'll be here all year, people. Heck, I dont' even start till September 18th, so look for me on the Nothing-Else-to-Do College Tour sooner or later. But forunately I've been able to cram lots of stuff into the last few weeks. Parties and boom-booms and poker and comedy (well, moreso than usual).

- The Planetarium is an unexpectedly good place for dancing, and for wandering around and looking at stuff when you aren’t dancing.

- When you get in a car and everyone else is wearing suit coats, and you’ve got shorts and a shirt, it’s more than a little unnerving.

- Fireworks go boom, awesomely. And may be followed with milkshakes.

- I suck at bowling.

- I also suck at poker, but am undeniably addicted at this point. Practice makes perfect. Life net poker winnings now stand at -$7.00.

- Javier and the Bear were spectacular, nay, godlike beings of musical stupenditude, which is to say they rocked hard, and in a consistent fashion.

- Bait shops are funny, when combined with trucking, and selling one’s eggs.

- There was a man who wanted the police. No one knows if he got them.


People are awesome. I may yet expand on the preceding points.

Also, this summer has witnessed a 700% increase in my music collection, I really should deliver some commentary on the additions at some point.

Good luck to all the college-bound, and the college-already- ... er… -bindled, at Oberlin, ND, U of I, Grinnell, Marquette, Minnesota, and what have you. And of course, the US Naval Academy, where I hold out a slim hope that Ed McGinnis has not been killed in a water-related fashion.

No comments: